Elective CE: 1 hour
Over the past few years, there have been a number of high profile upper level deck collapses. For example, recently in Atlanta a high deck collapsed during a party where 63 people were on a 300 square foot deck. 63 people on a 300 square foot deck may seem excessive but if it had been built properly, it would have supported the entire party without any problem at all.
The objective of this session is to educate real estate professionals about deck construction, deck safety and new deck products.
By the end of this course you will:
- become familiar with the components of a typical deck.
- know how to recognize a good deck.
- know how building permits and codes pertain to backyard decks.
- recognize the difference between a safe deck and an unsafe deck.
- know when a guard rail is required and recognize the difference between a good guardrail and an unsafe guardrail.
- know the various materials available for decks and the properties.
- know what’s required to maintain a deck and make it last a long time.
This knowledge will:
- provide valuable information that can be passed on to your contacts and clients.
- help you answer your client’s questions about decks.
- help you demonstrate to your clients that you are a knowledgeable and caring professional.
- Help us all improve the quality and safety of backyard decks.