Sponsored Partner Content by Interstate Moving | Relocation | Logistics
Americans are on the move. According to statistics blog, FiveThirtyEight, Americans move homes on average 11.4 times in their lives. In comparison, Europeans move roughly four times in their lifetime. Every reason for moving is different—it may be due to job relocation, health conditions, or lifestyle changes, such as marriage or a growing family. Whatever the reason may be, there are things you should do before you embark on the next chapter of your life.
When seeking out a moving company, be sure to follow these seven tips to make your move easier and stress-free!
1. Read All Moving Documents: You will receive a plethora of information from your moving company. Make sure you read through all moving documents and do not hesitate to ask questions for clarification. Your move coordinator is no stranger to this business and understands that you are trusting them to treat your goods as if they were your own.
2. Be Flexible: As a customer, you must be flexible with pick-up and shipment dates and times. Peak moving season is May-August, and many moving companies are booked solid during that time. Keep in mind that the customer must be present during the loading, unloading, and unpacking of shipments, so it is best to schedule accordingly.
3. Don’t Forget About the Little Ones: Moving day is stressful enough for adults, but it can be overwhelming for children and pets. If you have small children or pets, it is best to arrange childcare or pet care appointments for them while movers are in your home. This allows you to focus on your move.
4. Notify Your Mover: If circumstances change prior or during your move, notify your moving company as soon as possible. It is the customer’s responsibility to keep the movers updated. Doing so, allows the company to best meet your needs as well as update you on any increases in your price estimate. For example, it is essential to assess your packing-- if you are looking around and know that your move date is quickly approaching and you’re not going to finish your packing, contact your moving company about adding packing services to your move.
5. Carry On Items: Place any items that you have packed and will be transporting yourself to the next destination in a designated area of your home. Therefore, when the movers come to transport your belongings, they know not to handle the goods you are taking yourself.
6. Payment: Payment is usually due the day before your items are delivered. Be sure to check with your moving company about their payment options.
7. Report: Within 30 days of moving, report any damaged, delayed or lost items to the moving company. If you encounter damaged or lost goods, it is better to report those items as soon as possible.
Moving can be a daunting process, but you don’t have to do it alone. The key is to select the right company to pack, load and transport your goods securely.