1. have been a REALTOR® in good standing for at least five (5) successive years immediately preceding candidacy, two (2) of which shall be as a member of the Northern Virginia Association of REALTORS®;
2. be actively engaged in the business of real estate as defined by the VREB Real Estate Regulations at the time of candidacy;
3. disclose any finding of violation against their license due to direct action of the candidate by the Virginia Real Estate Board or similar state regulatory authority within the last five (5) years as well as any previous felony convictions;
4. disclose any instances within the preceding five (5) years in which the candidate has been found by a professional standards hearing panel to have violated the REALTOR® Code of Ethics. This requirement is for self-disclosure by a candidate for Board of Directors, and in no way compels disclosure of otherwise confidential information by the Association or other party. Any candidate waives any right of confidentiality against any REALTOR® Association that may notify NVAR of any failure to disclose a previous violation;
5. sign a commitment statement indicating that, if elected, candidate will faithfully fulfill all duties, including meeting attendance and participation, and will serve and abide by the Association’s Policies and Procedures;
6. the nominee must complete application and be available participate in the required candidate interview to be scheduled mid-July.
Ballot Recommendation Process
The Nominating Committee conducts interviews of all candidates who were nominated and eligible, per the Bylaws, to run for the Board of Directors. Upon the completion of these interviews, the committee then recommends those qualified to be put on the ballot for election.
The Board of Directors represents the entire membership of the Association and encourages participation from all members in volunteer leadership roles, including the Board. Any member seeking to run for the Board may petition to appear on the ballot by returning a complete Nominating Petition with the signatures of no less than 150 Members eligible to vote. The petition will be available, starting July 26, 2021 upon request, and must be returned no later than August 10, 2021." See Section 2.4.B of the NVAR Bylaws and Policies & Procedures Manual for more details about the petition process.